Adding Top Selling and Product Recommendation grids to Charley Emails
Charley emails allow you dynamically insert grids containing top sellers from your website or even product recommendations that customers might also be interested in purchasing.
You’ll also need to make sure you have a product feed uploaded. This allows us to match SKUs up from the website and find the image URLs, names, price, etc. to display in your grids. Find out more about preparing and uploading a product feed into Charley here.
Next, you’ll want to create your grid(s) so that you can insert its merge tag into your email. Both the Top Selling grid and the Product Recommendation grid have similar settings – we’ll explain them below and then show you how to insert the merge tag.
Creating New Grids
In order to create a new grid, go to your Menu Icon -> Choose Libraries -> Choose Engagements. From here, you can click the green button to create a new engagement, then scroll down to find the grids. Pick which one you’d like and you’ll be taken to its edit screen.
The main difference in both the Top Selling and Product Recommendation grids is the algorithm selection. This is what tells the grid what to display based on your customers’ and visitors’ behaviors.
Top Selling Products Algorithms
The algorithms for Top Selling Products allows you to choose from three choices. For whichever choice you pick, you are able to customize it a little further by choosing if you’d like to have Top Products by a certain Category (be default, it’ll be across all categories), or if you’d like to have Top Products during a certain date range.
- Top Products by Revenue: Will display the popular products based on their price of highest to lowest. Great if you want to push your higher-end products.
- Top Products by Quantity: Will display the popular products based on the quantity sold for each.
- Top Products by the Number of Times Purchased: Will display the popular products based on how often it’s purchased. Use this if you want to show what’s really popular among your customers.
Product Recommendations Algorithms
The algorithms for Product Recommendations are straight-forward and can be thought of as Amazon-style grids.
- People who viewed this product frequently viewed these
- These products are often purchased with this product
- People who added these items to cart often added these items
- People who looked at this item purchased these items
Here, you’ll find explanations of each of the general settings for both grids.
- Grid Design: Your grid can go up to 32 cells. Play with the number of columns and rows until you’re satisfied with how it appears. You can see the preview changing in real-time as you update this setting.
- Backfill Empty Cells: This option will be different depending on which grid you’re creating. For Product Recommendation, his allows you to pick back up algorithm(s) to your primary choice in “Type of Grid.” If there aren’t enough products to display with the primary algorithm you’ve chosen, you can choose back ups here. For Top Selling, if you’re displaying by category, this option will allow you to backfill any empty cells with either another category of products or with whatever the next best selling products are (All Categories).
- Minimum Inventory Filter: This allows you to make sure you’re only displaying products that are well stocked. This setting corresponds to the quantity column in your product feed. If you auto-update this nightly, it could be a useful setting for you.
- Allow Grid Delivery with Empty Cells: This setting allows you to continue to display the grid even if all the cells aren’t populated with products. Instead of displaying blank boxes, though, it will just remove the empty cells and display however many products it does have.
- Grid Title: This is where you input the title for your grid, like: “Products You’ll Also Love…” You can see the title update in the preview below.
After the general settings comes the visual customization options for your grid. Most of the look and feel of your grid can be changed in the CSS tab. See below for more details.
- Cell: Customize the different elements displayed in your grid in this tab. You can add or remove the merge tags for the product info you’d like to show your customers in the grid. Historically, clients never really needed to modify this part, so it’s optional and here if you really need it.
- CSS: This is how you can really customize the look of your grid. Modify fonts, colors, and sizes here.
Displaying Grids in your Charley Emails
Once you’ve finished customizing your grid, save it! This will create a grid ID which will make up the Merge Tag you’ll use to insert into your email.
Just like you’d use a Merge Tag to dynamically insert a recipient’s name, you’ll use a Merge Tag to insert the grid you’ve created.
Go to email template or campaign, and click on the drop down for Grid Tags. You should see the name of all the grids you’ve ever saved so make sure you make it descriptive! Choose the grid name you want to use and you’ll see that the Merge Tag is inserted into the email. Make sure you place it where you want it display.
Example of both Product Recommendations and Top Selling Products in one Email